We have a small house and don't have much space to store things and I want to use what I already have and try not to spend too much on fabric this year. Unless I see something really special or need a specific type of fabric that I don't have...But I want to say that I didn't buy all the fabric in my stash, four years ago my aunt died and after my mom and grandmother went through her things they found a lot of fabric which they gave to me. Then, about a year later my mom went through and cleaned out one of the rooms at her place and gave me a lot of the fabric she had. My mom doesn't sew anymore but she did when she was working and me and my sister were in high school.
It was fun to make our costumes and dresses for things. We were in the Job's Daughters and we had to wear dresses and twice a year we had to wear formals.
So, onto the fabric I chose....
- The light blue print is what's leftover from when I mod podged my tv trays this last spring or early summer. I love the print and I'm thinking I might make a little coin purse with it. It's 100% cotton.
- The red tie dye is 1/2 a yard I bought recently to make a couple of underscarves with. It's a knit fabric.
- The red heart print is some scrap fabric that came to me from my aunt. It's 100% cotton and is probably from the 90's or early part of the the 2000's...
- Dark brown linen, 3 yards, I bought it in November at the LA fashion district with plans to make a skirt, I think it will still be a skirt.
- 100% cotton lawn (or possibly voile, I'm not quite sure) paisley print. I bought it two summers ago I think, with the intention of making a top of some sort, I would still like to do that with it.
- Eiffel Tower print 100% cotton, I bought it last fall to make a dress I saw on Mod Cloth, but I've changed my mind and while I still want to make it into a dress, I think it will be a different kind of dress.
- 100% cotton 'Nevermore' print, I couldn't resist those crows for some reason! This was anotherrecent purchase. I have no idea what to make from it. I was thinking maybe a lining for something...
- Blue floral print, 100% cotton. I bought it two years ago I believe, not really knowing what to do with it. I probably got too much. We've used some of it to re-do the chairs at our kitchen table. I'm thinking I could make a curtain out of it for he laundry room and maybe also do a cover for my stand mixer (I hate how it collects dust when I don't use it) and also cover my new toaster oven.
- Pink daisy print, I think it's 100% cotton, I bought this years ago to make my daughter a summer outfit, I still want to make something from it for her.
- Pale lavender satin, this is something my mom bought to make herself something for my wedding in 2005. I've already used some to make a crossover regency gown, and I'm thinking to use what's here to make a skirt inspired by an Edwardian photo I saw. (I could probably combine this with the HSF)
- More satin, also from my mom. This is from the 90's. My mom bought it to make my sister an Italian renaissance dress. I'm thinking to also make a skirt with it. And the skirts would be for when we go to special dinners that we need to dress up for and I think it would be nice for Eid also.
- Grey wool, this is from my grandmother, she gave it to my this summer. It's what's left over from when she made herself some clothes to wear when she was still working. I'm guessing, but it's probably from the early 1990's, maybe even the late 1980's! I'm not sure what to make with it. Maybe a cute retro capelet? I have a pattern for one and I would like to have one...
So that's my twelve. I hope to use these, and I hope I can also keep up with the historical sew fortnightly, too! I might be able to use some of these for that...I'll see...
I also found these fabrics and I'm going to make them a bonus for myself. If I use up the first 12, I want to try to use up these, too!
- There are three knits, 2 black and 1 white. I bought them recently to make my daughters a couple of scarves and also one of the black fabrics for myself, I saw a free pattern to make a top that I was hoping to try.
- Grey and green plaid, I bought it in early fall to make a jacket, I would still like to make a jacket with it. I can't remember exactly but I think it's cotton, though it could be a blend.
- Tropical wool twill. I bought this hoping to make a regency pelise with but I've changed my mind, I would like something that I could wear regularly.
So that's it (of what I'm showing). I have a lot of sewing to do this year if I hope to get all this used up!